View Single Post
Old 2010-10-24, 01:29   Link #53
Used Can

The problem is that, Amagami, whilst it falling under the romance genre, it's also a comedy. In fact, if you could summarise Amagami in 3 words I think they would be: Romance, Teasing and Fun. So, I'd say, so far, the arc which actually doesn't "fit the bill" would be Kaoru's, since it was the least funny arc, due to the drama with Kaoru's mother. Not only that, but Kaoru's personality, in her own arc, was barely even delivered, since she's seriously a big tease. In the game, she starts some serious naughty kisses with Junichi. However, that was barely even portrayed. In fact, I think I can say it wasn't portrayed at all. That, and her anime arc ended up focusing on the drama only.

Of course, if what you want is drama, then Kaoru's arc will probably be the best, since most of the other arcs lack any type of drama. However, I simply cannot expect or even want drama from Amagami. I guess this is why Kaoru's arc is the one I liked the least. It was just plainly boring; even Kaoru wasn't as fun as she's been in other arcs, which made it even worse for me.

If I had to rank the arcs so far, I'd have to put Haruka's at the top, since it fits all the requirements for Amagami, in my opinion. It was fun, there was enough teasing and the development was rather good (it's pacing was rather decent, if you ask me). Second would be Ai's, it was rather fun, it's been, as of now, the best arc when it comes down to teasing, but I think it could have been a lot better when it comes down to development. Third would be Sae's, mostly because I didn't expect too much, but the arc, in general, played out well, especially with George Nakata's narration. For me, that was a plus. I had a lot of fun with that arc. Kaoru's arc... too much drama. Whilst I'd take some drama in Amagami, there was just too much of it on that arc. So, "no, thank you" is all I can say.

But well, comparisons aside, something else I liked from this last episode is that they (sort of) introduced the members from the tea club, who, I suppose, we'll be seeing a lot in Rihoko's arc - considering she's part of that club. They seem like a nice bunch. So, I guess it'll be fun.