View Single Post
Old 2009-12-14, 05:56   Link #77
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
I'm wondering if I should buy this game. I haven't played the first. I'm not into Western RPG's. Since they tend to feel like MMOfflineRPG's in my experience. I got bored out of fallout 3 pretty fast. What was it that made ME1 good? If the story is epic and the battlesystem is good, that would be good enough for me.
One thing that needs warning is that -combat wise- Mass Effect is not an average RPG. It doesn't have turn based combat, hitting is fully dependent on how well you aim instead of background dice rolls. There are still stats and skills, skill points increase weapon damage, your persuade or intimidate, give you new skills and so on, while you still have health and defense to increase as well.

Aside from the combat though, Mass Effect is a solid RPG. It's not 'free roaming do whatever you want' like Oblivion, instead a clear story runs through it.

If anything, I would describe Mass Effect as a JRPG by a western company. A deep story in a rich world. If you don't mind the shooter like combat system, than I can fully recommend this game, because the story makes this a straight up guarantee for fun.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote