Thread: Visiting Japan
View Single Post
Old 2008-12-20, 23:27   Link #401
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
As far as I can tell, both America and Japan have the same two slim pin sockets and voltage anyways, I use the same adapter for both countries when using a UK device. It shouldn't be too much of an issue compared to the UK. >.>
Slight correction. The voltage and frequency (if in the east or Kantou area) are different. Japan (East) is at 50 Hz, and Japan (West) is at 60 Hz; the voltage for the entire country is 100V. The U.S. is at 120V and 60 Hz.

I didn't see any problems plugging in my U.S.-bought stuff into an electrical socket and then using them, but I was always careful about not keeping things plugged in all the time. Electronics with AC/DC converters like a PC or a game player should be able to take the change, but read the details, if they are on the converter, carefully.

The outlets in Japan is the slim kind that you might not see often now in the U.S. The plug's blades are both in the same rectangular shape, and there isn't a ground pin. You may or may not need a socket converter for your stuff when coming from the U.S., and there are a number of places that you can buy one in Japan should you find out only when you arrive.

Some details that look to be accurate.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote