View Single Post
Old 2012-12-09, 02:48   Link #2616
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Is Japan losing its cool?:

"Manga, anime, J-pop – once it was all about Japan. But the country's efforts to
channel its 'cool' as part of a global soft power strategy may need a revamp amid
intense competition from Korea."

See:

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-...osing-its-cool
I think one of the biggest reason why Japanese anime/manga industries are doing poor in the west is their inability to utilize internet properly. Seems the rise of torrent and illegal streaming did lot of damage for did damage for their western market. I am actually pretty curious how well Korean manwha will do (if they were ever to reach out to the west), currently their mainly focusing on webtoon. Because of this I think they might have easier time reaching the west as it doesn't have high cost compare to printing. I would actually like to see Japanese manga to go into similar direction but will be difficult for them to transit.

As for gaming, Japan is doing somewhat well. It is true there are some decline, like Final Fantasy doing worse than before. But people seem to forget that Nintendo is Japanese, and they were one of the most successful gaming company in the current generation. Also, Japanese gaming are successful, but in handheld format mostly. Games on DS have sold well and there were some incredible games on them as well.

And the success of K-pop, really Gangnam Style was just really abnormally. I really don't think K-pop will have much success in the future through out the world, then again what do I know.