View Single Post
Old 2007-06-26, 03:21   Link #35
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
Wrong. I'm in the position of someone who has been a fan of a medium for a long time, and is watching their tastes begin to deviate from the mainstream, while the mainstream gets larger. I don't equate anime with boobs, guns, and harems, but I find it disappointing that the more recent, more popular series are ones involving those.
Deviating from the mainstream is the keyword. In other words you don't like plastic pop and emo anymore but it seems you're also not willing to spend energy on finding out if electronic music or experimental jazz fits you tastes. Because as a mainstream watcher you never needed to do anything than clicking on "interesting titles". But that's not how things works once you get off mainstream as follows from the very definiton of "off mainstream", duh.

BTW, the popular series were always involving boobs and guns, and if not harem, then mecha and super sentai teams. Plus, the mainstream may be growing because the market is growing but the market has also become more diverse than ever before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
Consider the series that were/are popular enough to warrant their own forum on this site. I've watched at least part of 25 of them, and I only really liked MariMite and Haruhi, mostly because I caught some of the jokes and Haruhi herself wasn't a wilting flower that is so prevalent in most of the other series.
You're tired of the mainstream. I got it. So simply trying out what is popular is obviously not the way to go, is it?

So there are two possibilities. 1. You start looking more actively for shows that might fit your tastes, or, if you think it's not worth the hassle, 2. you stop watching anime before you kill yourself for stumbling over yet another mainstream show.

I can only advice you to try number one first. Sorry for not only stating but repeating the obvious: Keeping an eye on new anime productions is really not that time consuming considering the small production rate of shows (compared to books, CDs, TV shows ...).

And if you then find out that the off mainstream shows also suck, just on a different level you can still stop watching anime.