View Single Post
Old 2010-07-15, 23:01   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

A few minutes contemplation suggests that many shows have this feature. However I think there are at least two types of shows that fit your general request.

One type places the willingness for self-sacrifice at the core of the story like Moribito does. I'd add Kurozuka, Noein, Real Drive, and perhaps Kure-nai and Ergo Proxy to this list. The pilots in Yomigaeru Sora: Rescue Wings must contemplate sacrificing themselves to save others on every mission.

In other cases self-sacrifice represents just one event in a larger plot as in Twelve Kingdoms, Kemono no Sou-ja Erin, Toshokan Sensou, Monster, Saiunkoku Monogatari, Mouryou no Hako, or Mononoke Hime. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 and PlanetES might also qualify here. Even Dennou Coil touches on these issues at a number of moments.

The Apothecary in Mononoke might be willing to sacrifice himself to defeat the demons he faces, but I think he believes he's so superior to his supernatural and human enemies that he's invincible. The same probably applies to Twenty Faces in Nijuu Mensou no Musume.

In his most angsty moments, Harima might consider sacrificing his life for Tenma-chan in School Rumble, as might Hanai for Yakumo, and both might be stupid enough to do so. (OK, I'll admit I might offer to sacrifice myself for Yakumo, too.)

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2010-07-15 at 23:19.