View Single Post
Old 2010-10-26, 09:16   Link #2034
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Neither can I. However, going from a nagging suspicion to a certainty is quite the leap. It does seem plausible that she knows quite a lot more than what she lets on to Alto when she says what should have been her final farewell words, but... It'll stay in the debatable zone until someone like The Hory Froating Head himself flat out states what, exactly, was she trying to achieve. End the war? Ok. But did she have any inkling as to how to accomplish that feat?
Maybe in the second movie, we'll get a more in-depth exploration of this...

In any event, I do believe she was in the wrong, going out into the wild practically alone like that. And that's not really likely to change anytime soon.
No, you make a good case. Without knowing what she knew and when she knew it, it's pretty much impossible for us to piece together what she had in mind.

The point I'm trying to make is that there is A LOT of ambiguity at play here. people can believe whatever they like, but none of it should be stated as a certainty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Alto was completely right in not going with her. From his perspective, it was a suicide mission. Hell, from Rankas perspective it should have been one. She couldn't be sure at all that the Vajra would react positively to her, after what happened during the last two episodes.
Maybe that was part of the memories she had regained...?

Quote:
Uh, she could just have not sung anymore? Or tell the military about the effect it had and let them do testing?

And if she knew that her singing had a negative effect on the Vajra, like you claim now, wasn't her leaving even more of a suicide mission? On which she wanted to coerce Alto into participating?

Any way you turn it, it was a crap shoot by Ranka, which could have gone horribly, horribly wrong. And DID. If it wasn't for everybody coming to rescue her, Grace would be bitch-queen of the galaxy. And that doesn't even mention the sheer thoughtlessness Ranka displayed in so many aspects of that decision to go. I shan't go into detail once more of them, but it still makes angry after all that time.
Well...that's part of the problem, isn't it? You're not willing to cede Ranka any quarter (so to speak), and presume the worst of her at any occasion. As such, any effort to communicate that PERHAPS she's not as dense as you say she is, falls on deaf ears.

Quote:
To which she simply could have said "no". And at that point nobody knew about the Vajra bacteria in her blood.
Are you sure about that? They tested her blood back in episode 2, and it's STRONGLY hinted that Leon prevented her from becoming Miss Macross.