View Single Post
Old 2011-06-19, 15:33   Link #258
hanashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
Part of me wonders if we'll find out later that Tooru deliberately "apprentice-zoned" Minchi precisely because he's her teacher, and considers it improper to do anything that might encourage her interest in him, given the power structure of their professional relationship. It may not be anything wrong with Minchi herself at all, but if that's the case, he needs to find a way to let her know that. As it stands, I think his disinterest in her romantically is really hurting her feelings.
I don't think he deliberately zoned her. I wondered that but then in ep 4 we saw him grab Minko's hands (getting pretty close to her) and help her with the skewers with zero self-conciousness. You don't do that with someone when you know they have a crush on you, especially when you're in a position of power over them. I work with undergrads who aren't that much younger than I am and I'm always very conscious of propriety. At the end of the day, I can argue that I'm not interested, etc, but I'm aware that the students' perceptions also matter. And I don't see that awareness in Tooru. For whatever reason, I think he just doesn't see her as a girl. So I guess she's actually been imouto-zoned. In the PG-rated sense!