View Single Post
Old 2007-12-24, 14:07   Link #14
CoolBradG
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
In what format does it record HD content? Will it store 720p or 1080i/p programs in their native formats? Will it record on double-sided DVDs? (Sorry to ask; I found it hard to determine the specs of this device, even on Samsung's site.) While I'd prefer H.264 encodes in mp4 containers for portability, DivX is a good, though proprietary, alternative. Can you write a DVD in DivX, or just write standard DVDs? DivX on a double-sided DVD could probably store even long programs like sporting events at 720p.
Well I have not tried recording HDTV yet, only standard cable. I use DVD-RW's which let me record/watch/erase stuff without "finalizing" the disc. If you don't finalize the disk no other player/computer can read except the Samsung player so in order to rip or play what you recorded elsewhere you must finalize the disk. I'm pretty sure on DVD-R it finalizes the disk no matter what but I like re-using disks (DVD-RW) especially if I'm gone and just wanna record a show and watch it once then delete. I'm pretty sure you can only write in standard form. I have not seen a way to change recording format. Also double sided/dual layer is a confusing subject (for me I don't use that). In the manual it talks about it giving you more recording time but others have said that those disks don't seem to work. It does give you options though to extend the recording time (one option gives about 6 hours).

Not sure if I was any help but try googling the Ar650 you may find more info that way, I mostly use it for small recordings and playing burned/rented DVD's. It also has a built in HD Tuner so if your TV is LCD and HD Ready you can get free HD channels and record them.

Also if your unfamiliar with Newegg.com they have a 30 day return policy so if you wanted to try it out for yourself and send it back if its not what you want.
CoolBradG is offline   Reply With Quote