View Single Post
Old 2009-07-26, 11:26   Link #254
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDSSDWE
Weird concept of "will"? You think it's normal that just by strongly willing it, your arrows can suddenly become stronger, and Luffy can suddenly get hit hard even though he's made of rubber? It's never happened before in the manga until the Shabondy arc and suddenly it's just a matter of who has a strong/stronger "will"? You are surely joking?

I'm going to say this again: your way of applying "will" to make arrows stronger is silly. Your way of applying "will" to explain how Luffy got hit hard even though he's made of rubber and Kizaru's light can be hit/interrupted is equally silly. There is 0 evidence in the OP universe that supports your "stronger will" theory applied in this way. Because they, Margaret and Boa, talk about it like it's some special power, it is far more likely that it's similar to the Nen in HxH or the Chi as used in DB.

The other reason why your "strong will can do lots of stuff like make Logia DF users hittable by intimidating them" is silly because it would turn OP battles into silly fights where we always have to be wondering "well, clearly he was distracted or intimidated there, why didn't that hit do more damage? How is he still able to use his DF powers so effectively? Why can't he hit him?" The "will" thing can be completely made up and fix the battles like you've been making stuff up as you go about who has got stronger will in which situations. That makes for "unrealistic" outcomes where strength and tactics are second nature to someone getting a crazy power-up to destroy whatever is thrown at him just by "willing it strongly".
Kyudo, where your arrows carry your Ki, your spiritual energy. Ki and the how your state of mind even with the slightest imperfection or distraction can cause you to fail.

Even though the link starts from the middle, at the section on Kiai, please do read the entire link. Its only a book preview but it touches on points I've always been trying to say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by From the book
Your arrows do not carry, because they do not reach far enough spiritually.
In Kyudo, traditional Japanese archery, they believe that the arrow can carry the spirit, the Ki of the archer.

The Haki arrows follow the same concept, the arrows carry the Amazon's Haki, they intention to hit and defeat the opponent. That intention is strong enough to allow the arrows to smash rocks.

In the chapter 'Pain', the author talks about how his doubts and distractions in his mind led to imperfections and failure as a result. His Ki is disturbed, imperfect that's why he cannot perform.

If your Ki overwhelms your opponents' Ki, you are disturbing or damaging his Ki, weakening his performance and this leaves him vulnerable to you. If you intimidate your opponent, you are sending your Haki towards them, if their Haki is weaker, their Ki will fall apart, making them vulnerable to you.

It doesn't matter if its Rubber or Logia. If you're hitting your opponent with Ki or Haki, you are not attacking his physical body, you are attacking him from his Ki, his spirit, from within him.

It is not just a physical battle, it is a battle of intentions, the wills of the fighters are clashing. And how do you know someone has a strong will? When he puts everything he has into the fight, he tries everything to defeat the opponent and refuses to lose. This is how someone shows that he has a strong will. 'Willing it strongly' is just wishful thinking and coming up with such an idea just shows that you do not understand how people put their wills to the test.

And like I've mentioned many times throughout this thread, whenever Haki is mentioned in the manga, in Japanese, its always just a normal verb or noun. The Amazons have never talked about Haki like it is a special power. The only time Haki was special was when they realised Luffy has Haoushoku Haki. It is special only because Haoushoku Haki is extremely rare, unlike normal Haki that everyone has.

It only sounds special to you because the manga translators choose to leave Haki untranslated, making it sound 'special'. But that's not their intention in the first place, they did not leave it untranslated to be special, they only leave it that way because there's no good English word that can describe it properly. Just like 'Nakama', its significance will be lost when translated into English.

The Japanese is a very spiritual culture and it has always been reflected in manga. If you cannot grasp spiritual concepts and cannot understand it, I can do nothing to help you.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote