View Single Post
Old 2011-06-01, 22:05   Link #92
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
And how do we do this when we can't read japanese (O.o)? It is the director's/writer's job to ensure enough detail is given to properly convey an adaptation, so it is pointless to say "read the light novel". The anime should not be a complement to the light novel; it should stand in it's own right.
I have to admit that "just read the novels" is lacking as a cover for an adaptation's perceived inadequacies. But at the same time, it's clear to me that adapting so much text in so few episodes is not easy even in the best of times, and I have been on the other side of the proverbial fence a number of times too (in terms of being familiar with the source before seeing the adaptation). In the end, I think we do have to judge the works separately. But we also have to keep in mind that a large portion of the target audience is in fact people in Japan who have already read the novels (or decide to read the novels after starting the anime - the anime is made to help sell books too), so we can't discount the perspective that experiencing both brings to the table either.

The fact simply is that we're at a natural disadvantage. We have a limited perspective that is quite valid, but probably not ideal or maybe even what the anime director/writers intended. We could judge the production staff for it, but they also may not care what we think. And so it goes...