View Single Post
Old 2012-06-18, 12:02   Link #29193
UsagiTenpura
Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
Well no, that is not the point I was trying to make at all
What I was trying to say is that many people seem unable to seperate their personal taste and objective observations in this discussion. Both are equally valid but applicable at different points in a discussion.
Well, I'd say you got partly what I wanted to imply, which is that I think many people are trying to prove that Ryűkishi wrote a mystery the wrong way out of the wrong reasons, mainly because they didn't like his approach because of personal taste. There is nothing like a "precise will of an author", maybe an intended one, but because we are not one with the author we are bound to make up our own mind about any given text. That is the problem with contemporary criticism, it has to be valid and very well structured in order to be useful. A critic has to be very careful in making it clear where objective analysis ends and where personal taste ends. If a story fails to give a proper characterization for a bunch of characters for no given reason (like Umineko did) that can be objectively criticized, but if simply didn't like how a part of the plot turned out because of personal taste it has to be made clear because it is something that people will and are allowed to disagree on.
I so fully agree with this. I find it quite depressing that others don't seem to realize it.
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote