Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru Season 2
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-28, 19:37   Link #343
Sol Falling

As far as the effort/genius dichotomy, can it really be concluded yet that the geniuses haven't also expended great effort themselves? At least, if you take the example of the most prominent players we are familiar with (such as Arata, Chihaya, Shinobu, Arata's grandpa maybe), I don't think you could deny that they have spent enough time "sweating on the tatami".

If you accept the reality that talent/natural aptitude exists. And affix on also the believable moral that victory requires effort. Then the natural conclusion should be that the strong/the victors will be those who possess/have put in both, i.e. "geniuses that try hard". From a logical standpoint, it seems inevitable that such existences would represent an impassible wall, from the perspective of other players.

Where do you go from there? Haha, well, I don't know. If we accept that only abnormal creatures like Shinobu or Chihaya might reach the pinnacle of karuta, then where does that put everyone else? As far as communicating the appeal of karuta in a widespread sense, I rather doubt that being fixated on absolute victory is a good vehicle. In the end, the story probably should communicate that becoming Meijin or Queen is not everything, that something deeper which lies within karuta itself is more valuable than that.

The great inner growth within Taichi, Tsutomu, Sumire, etc. as a result of karuta is wonderful to see in itself. Just any random person's inner talent might not be enough to take them to the top of karuta, but there should be enough there that, if they want to and put effort into it, they can become strong. I think having been through that process should be enough for any person to take pride in.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote