Thread: Crunchyroll Aiura
View Single Post
Old 2013-04-17, 11:23   Link #59
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
I couldn't disagree with you more. As cute as those little animation sequences may be, they pale in comparison to some of the extraordinarily elaborate animation sequences in other, full-length, 24-minute anime episodes. In the first episode of Hyouka, for instance, there are probably more than two minutes of exceptional individual animation sequences, the flowing hair and flowering sequence being a prime example. It's a marvel of beautiful, extravagant animation, and lasts about thirty seconds. Even the sequence where what's-his-name walks into the club room and first meets Chitanda, again about thirty seconds long, is a better example of exceptional animation than any of your examples.

Same goes with the backgrounds. Many anime series have extraordinarily beautiful background art. The art and animation in Aiura is nice, but it's nothing exceptional.
You really shouldn't have picked a KyoAni show for your example. Most anime studios cannot afford the time and money to animate as beautifully and consistently as KyoAni does. And even so, I think Hyouka has exceptionally good visuals even by KyoAni's standards. Hyouka is one of my top favorite 2012 anime, by the way.

Yes, there are countless full-length episode anime that are better animated than Aiura. One example would be Kamichu. But do you really think that this anime could maintain this level of quality animation if the episodes were 24 minutes long and aired weekly? I doubt it.

Then again, if you would rather sacrifice animation quality for cohesiveness between episodes and a more satisfying feeling at the ending of each episode, I can understand your argument. We really haven't gotten any further than the character introductions. There's hardly even any slice-of-life so far. I personally don't have a big issue with this right now, but I can sympathize with anyone who does. I made my first post to highlight the positives that I believe the short episode length has brought us.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote