View Single Post
Old 2008-07-22, 17:06   Link #181
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Eon View Post
I'm surprised that hasn't occurred to them, being they seem pretty shameless about how they've been promoting themselves on L*S's tail.
They ought throw an open house (shrine?) to miko everywhere for the job, but imagine being on the select committee! Hey, I just thought of a new TV show! "American Miko" about a devout young lady circulating America on foot spreading the Shinto Word 'tween chopping agnostic heads... ! Hey, if it can work for ninjas!...
Shinto shrines are almost all pretty practical about maintaining theirselves. Sometimes the town/village provides a stipend but often its the holidays and festivals that provide needed income to maintain the grounds and compensate the priests and miko. Medieval Christian churches had a business model that wasn't that different.

Also.. Shinto isn't an aggressive missionary type of religion like J-C-I.
Quote:
Well, sure must be, since I'm looking at screenshots of the Hiiragis home which looks like it's on a regular residential block, not in a shrine's compound or sanctuary, unless the place is simply outside of but owned by the shrine. You hardly see any pics of the real shrine inside the property anyway! Those pics would leave you thinking that that store and tourist center IS the shrine!

Quote:
Selecting photos as visual references doesn't mean the artists aren't going to monkey with the maps to achieve a result. The home of Dad and his miko daughters is off-site. There's enough inference to assume Dad makes a fair bit of change blessing new construction and all the other activities that require Shinto blessing. Their homesite may have been in the family for a long time (though most Japanese rebuild/remodel homes to suit current needs). If you'll watch another series, Wagaya no Oinara-sama, you'll notice there's often a tourist/convenience shop near the more popular shrine entrances.
My brother chimes in; if Kona and the twins really live that close to another, why don't they ever take the same train home from school at least? At most they must only be a local bus ride apart, right? (to those in the know about Tokyo). Oversight or flub?
They all use the same train station (though "Mi-wiki" goes the other way) .... but I seem to remember they're just far enough apart to get off on different stops and take different buses.
Quote:
It would, only -- now I respect voice actors, I really do, but ironically I kind of doubt they'd be the best ones to personify the characters in and out since it's more job than passion to (most of?) them I suppose.
You must be joking. Most japanese VAs live and breathe their work and use every chance possible to show they are popular to their managers and bosses. Many of them break down in tears of happiness when their fans cheer them at live performances. As a rule they are quite passionate about their work (the alternative careers being waitress, office-lady, etc).

Most VAs cosplay their characters at times for various functions or photoshoots. Somewhere I've seen photo and video of the VAs who play the twins in miko costume .... and if you've watched VAs - even if they don't fully resemble their characters physically, they do a pretty good impression of their personality and facial expressions.