View Single Post
Old 2008-04-12, 22:03   Link #126
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
That said, manga/anime is considered part of geek culture. But believe it or not, it's actually good to be a geek in Singapore, because geeks are usually assumed (rightly or wrongly) to be very smart, and this country loves clever people. Heck, we recently had a game show featuring "Singapore's Brainiest Kids". Can you imagine such a programme in the US or the UK? The children who appear on the show would become the butt of endless cruel jokes.
Eh, we have "Are you Smarter than a Fifth Grader?", and I'm quite sure it's about a panel of teens and adults answering the same question a fifth grader answers, with people giving incorrect answers being eliminated, though I don't watch it because it seems childish.

And regarding anime, I think I've already pointed out that I read light novels at school on occasion.
My bookmark is also this:

So I don't really care about allegations that I'm a nerd (I've built a reputation over the years that point otherwise, so I generally don't get any negative remarks, though I do get a lot of chuckles.)
(It actually sparks a good deal of conversation among my friends and other classmates when I bring up some of my hobbies. It's quite entertaining, really.)

PS: Be jealous of my [C=Wrath of God]WoG[/C]. lulz.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote