View Single Post
Old 2009-03-12, 16:23   Link #92
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Well the question is did the author labelled the stories herself or did the editors do that.

Are you really sure she wrote with "I will make a shiounen" on her mind? Did she tell you herself? As far as I know in creative process the tagging tend to be rather lose and then authors suffer from the editors that still need to do the tagging and have a specific genre to match. There are teh requirements but it doesn't mean that author writes following those specific requirements and sometimes have to as russians say 'padagnat' the result a little so taht it would look like it matches the requirements.

Don't know if this happened with toradora author though. If you do, and she said so, then my musings are wrong. But so far from those my friends that do writing, it is not as simple as just always having a specific tagging and then matching a writing on it.

There is a difference. Not to mention that authors understanding of what romantic comedy is, may be very different from others.

Like lets say author identifies book as comedy, but the tag is still rather vague and you may feel that it was actually tragedy. Like our authors book about his experience in Nazi's concentration camp - basically it is comedy but the things they talk about are barely comical. Not exactly tragicomedy either... In same cases tags leave it tio be very vague and not really telling of what the thing is about.

Sometimes work really matches the tag, but Toradora is something different that is hard to place into tags just like that, even if you are forced to do, to present it to the market, it doesn't mean that those tags do any good to your work, if it is a good work.