View Single Post
Old 2013-06-13, 22:19   Link #1946
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinz55 View Post
Though on the bright side, this probably set it up for Sophie's official induction into Tigre's harem. I agreed with a prior poster that it's unlikely any of the Vanadis will perish. The title and the volume covers heavily suggest all 7 will eventually be Tigre's companions (and most likely harem members).

On that thought, I'm interested in how the author will work this harem out. It's a challenge to make a respectable end to a serious socio-politico novel if the main guy ends up with 10+ wives. On the other hand, too much setting up has been done to several female characters (teita, lim, regny, lumira and soon sophie) that having hm ending up with just Ellen will undermine much of the romantic subplots.
It wasn't an uncommon thing for kings and emperors to have more than one wife - it was considered a necessary thing at in times of yore to pacify far-flung territories and maintain political alliances.

So frankly it still would be a respectable and serious socio-political novel even if they go for a Marry-Em-All...assuming that Tigre ends up as the next Holy Roman Emperor equivalent, with an empire to rival that of Nebuchadnezzar, Cyrus, Alexander and Genghis. Frankly even with all the charisma and skill he has he would be hard pressed to hold such a large amount of land together at once - having these lovely ladies who just so happen to be head over heels for you to be in your boardroom and bedroom all at once sounds like a pretty awesome deal, especially when (I expect) they're good at both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
Well, the original Black Dragon King had all seven Vanadis as his wives. Or rather he made his wives Vanadis. And the last person to get Tigre's title married the princess and became king.
Well in my opinion it's none-too-subtle foreshadowing really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinz55 View Post
What I meant though is how the character development can reasonably lead to that harem ending. Right now, I can't see any person involved with the harem agreeing to it (including Tigre). Maybe Teita, given that she's in no position to bargain...
Tigre hasn't yet given his view on whether he's for or against - so far he is either seen to have been ambivalent, or has been silent on the matter. And if his sleep-grabbing is any indication I'd say it's his secret fantasy (but I guess that's speculation ain't it.)

That Ellen is his main girl is so far undisputed though. We'll just have to see how it goes, what with him being on his way to become the prime breeding stock of the continent and all. As I noted above it might become a necessity after all, and all he needs to do is to give in to his night-time subconscious all of one bleedin' time.

Either that or we could always count on the author to cop out on us.

Anyway it seems that being free from work is making me as lazy as all hell - the backlog of this thread is looking kind of threatening right now.

Can someone give me a quick rundown on where we are translation wise?
XenahortCharybdis is offline   Reply With Quote