View Single Post
Old 2005-12-18, 22:44   Link #44
Arnyer
Ferratus

I might take some heat for this, but here goes...

I've found the second season of Da Capo to be intensely disappointing. The biggest change to me has been the writing style. The first Da Capo was pretty much broken into two halves, a comedic first and a dramatic second. Both were really well done. The comedy in the first half I found to be witty and funny, with well-written conversations that flowed well and just the right amount of deformation in the characters during jokes. Asakura was a likeable protagonist; a goof but not wimpy or indecisive, funny and charismatic. His 'harem' was fairly limited; each girl got screen time, but Asakura knew who he liked and didn't lead the other girls on. The idea of 'everyone loves Asakura' was pretty muted, and when other girls confessed (Kotori, Sakura) they were rejected.

The second half I wasn't as drawn to, but I could acknowledge that it was also well-written, with some touching moments (Asakura opening up the box he receives after Miharu-robot shuts down, reading the note inside, and breaking down). It was also backed up by a surprising score that seemed to come out of nowhere after being absent in the first half. And the whole thing ended on a positive note, which is always nice.

Then we come to the second season....I'll admit part of my objection is seeing Kotori so strongly get the shaft over Nemu, who I found to be a generally unlikeable character due to her constant bursts of anger, but that's far from it. The whole series feels dumbed down. There are way too many girls now, reducing most characters to very little screen time. Asakura is much more a piece of meat to be fought over, and is portrayed as much more whiny/needy/lazy. Aisia was an OK character for awhile, but I was shocked to find the emphasis of the series entirely on her and her Saturday-morning-special-'magic makes everyone happy!' message. The script is generally less funny and witty and just lacking. Bleh. I also feel like Nemu came back -way- too early in the series and was handed pretty much total victory on the romantic front, ending the series' main source of tension almost immediately. (And as a side note, since Asakura and Nemu are definately lovers, could she stop calling him 'Nii-san'? Creepy.)
Arnyer is offline   Reply With Quote