View Single Post
Old 2009-10-02, 03:00   Link #1037
OctoberFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
What will most likely happen:

Medaka will use her own money to rebuild. Everyone will forgive and forget the fact that she went demon mode, because she had stopped Unzen. Plus, it's Medaka, so she could murder innocent people and everyone would still just accept it. That is the law of Medala Box-- she is always right (no matter how much she says she's never right, what we've seen thus far contradicts that statement).

After that, Unzen will have a change of heart because of Medaka's evil side and join the council, with Onigase being the new Enforcer head. Either that, or she'll become VP and Unzen will vanish into obscurity with the rest of the cast.

One of the mangas biggest problems, I've noticed (along with all the basic stuff that's mentioned constantly), is that we're told about all these problems that Medaka has in order to get us to sympathize with her more. Yet, we're never shown any of it. We're told that she's scared, but we never see it. We're left to infer that she's insecure, but again through words and not actions. What we're shown is Medaka's strength and in a manga, the pictures, expressions and actions of the characters speak much more loudly than words.

In a book, yes, you rely on telling people things like that more, because they don't have the visual images to expand upon it. In manga, you rely much more on the art and actions of the characters far more than you do actual dialogue. In fact, I'm sure the reason many people don't believe that Medaka is good or scared, etc. is because it's constantly being told to us and not shown. What we're shown is her being aloof, tyrannical, arrogant, controlling and all powerful, so it makes it very hard for us to believe that she actually is as kind as everyone says.

Even this latest chapter, where we get to "see" her anger ends up becoming yet another powerfest full of bad dialogue. "I have almost no sanity left!" and "I'm going to fight you like a beast!" Don't say it... Just DO it. If Medaka just kept attcking him like a wild animal, I'd buy it and might be freaked out about it. But she spends more time talking about how she's losing her sanity and using violence than actually using it. Even the characters take it pretty much in stride, as seen in chapter 19, where they're basically just like "Well, she's pissed." A beast doesn't talk about what it's going to do--- it just attacks, non-stop. I don't consider two straight punches to be "attacking like a beast." A beast would stay on you, not letting up.

More than that her actions have to have lasting impact. If they just let rip down the school without issue, there's a problem there. If a everyone treats her the same, there's a problem there. Actions without consequence are completely unrealistic and just further pushes home the point that Medaka can do no wrong, no matter how mch they try to tell us that she can.
Wrong.

I am predicting a Tommy Westphall ending a la St Elsewhere. Medaka beats the enforcers and everyone cheers for her as she stands on the rubble as if it were a podium.

Then we cut to a page showing a malnourished Medaka holding a snowglobe of the school. Apparently she was autistic and the entire series had played out in her imagination. The end.
OctoberFlames is offline   Reply With Quote