View Single Post
Old 2007-03-23, 12:39   Link #68
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post
From what I hear, School Days isn't about rational or irrational choices at all. Rather, seemingly inconsequential decisions made at Point A (i.e. as seemingly inconsequential as turning left or right where a corridor forks) will eventually lead to promiscuous behavior at Point B. This design purposely forces the player into being unfaithful, regardless of his original intentions. Consequently, the likelihood of reaching a bad ending is disproportionately high.

At any rate, I suppose that this is the main gimmick of School Days, with the violent endings being just icing on the cake. The protagonist is intentionally unlikable/thoroughly amoral, and you're supposed to get a thrill from seeing him destroy the girls' lives (depicted through the ensuing melodrama) through no choice of your own. Given the story premise, design, and violent endings, I'd say that School Days is primarily intended to be a sadistic romp (although simultaneously compelling via the drama), whereas KGNE takes itself more seriously as a soap opera featuring hapless, yet well-intentioned and potentially redeemable characters.
There is one ending, which is considered as true ending by many of my fellow Korean anime watchers, where Makoto gives really heartfelt and touching apology to one of the girl, to which the girl gives in. I don't know how you arrive at the few good and decent endings, but they do exist, so it is possible for the main character to not ruin people's lives. If the anime producers plays things safe, they will make one of those few good endings as the core of the overall plot.