View Single Post
Old 2012-12-10, 20:11   Link #1
FinFangFoom
The Man, The Legend......

When is it time to sell your anime?

The other day I was on Amazon.com buying some stuff, and on a whim I decided to look up Hajime no Ippo (aka Fighting Spirit) to see if the second season ever came out on dvd. I bought the complete collection volume 1 and 2 a few years ago, since it's probably my all-time favorite anime, and thought it would be cool to own the second season as well. Sadly it wasn't available, but I was pretty shocked when I saw the sale price on the old collections. I believe I payed less than $20 per volume about 3 or 4 years ago, and now I see volume 2 listed on amazon for $199 used. I then checked ebay and see only one copy of volume 1 available and it's going for $250.

As much as I love the series, I'm not a serious collector, and it's hard for me to justify sitting on one complete set that is being valued at over $400 (I could buy so much more anime with that money!), especially when I still have all the old fansubs backed up on CD's and an external HD (and sadly the fansubs are superior in some ways). But at the same time, for some reason I feel really strange about the idea of selling it. Has anyone ever faced this dilemma? And it's one thing for people to list anime at such a high price, but does anyone actually pay that much for a series that could probably still be downloaded for free? Has anyone here actually sold their used anime for that much of a markup before?
FinFangFoom is offline   Reply With Quote