View Single Post
Old 2012-08-04, 17:37   Link #1017
Ruddfect

Aside from the impression that "Everyone was incompetent", another poster put it very well - "For a series that focused so much on romance, the romance sucked". Definitely the shittiest part of the show.

Izumo was a far better villain than Kagura or Mikage - the former was a plot device throughout the show, and the latter had no actual enmity towards the good guys except for Fudo and was detached from pretty much all the drama except for "lolwingsofthesun". The fact that the heads ended up making characters (a lot of them) that were unintentionally far more popular than the ones intended is just silly.

"The original work tried but failed to suggest Fudo was Apollonius"
It obviously did, because there was no evidence of it in Sousei or EVOL until episode 25, just like how Apollo was supposed to be Pollon but there was not enough buildup for it. Pretty big failure.

"Mikage supposed to be similar to Toma"
Toma wasn't supremely overpowered. Just look at all the crap Mikage pulls in the show - he goes from manipulating emotions to being able to kill people across planets (Jin),stealing bodies (Zessica), pulling Cherubims out of nowhere (weren't these all destroyed in Sousei? Did he pull them out of time or something), controlling Ianthe's power (where the fuck did this come from), and being able to gattai all of Solar Aquarion by himself. Mikage was fabulous in the manner that he did so, but he was godlike throughout the entire show, and nearly everything was his fault. Bad writing there, imo.

There are dozens and dozens of plot threads that were brought up and left unresolved as well. Anyone remember when Mikage said "I'll see you again, Donar Dantes?" When Mikage incorrectly describes Amata and Izumo makes nothing of it? Altair never being resolved? I could go on, but I think I've made my point - things were made up as the show progressed and enjoyment of the show really suffered because of the forced drama upon everyone.