View Single Post
Old 2012-10-10, 07:38   Link #30
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I also come across a problem at trying to fit Tari Tari into a genre. What is it exactly? It started out as slice of life...ish, then it delves into drama, and lots of it. However, the overall "feel" of the anime is closer to slice of life than drama. The "drama" is more like side stories that develop each character, but it's more plot-heavy than those of other slice of life anime.
Agreed.

This is why I can't help but think that the approach taken by the Slice of Life purists might be causing more harm than good.

Classic Aria-esque Slice of Life is exceptionally rare in today's anime world. You don't see it very often any more. So I'm not sure what exactly is being helped or preserved by holding to the strictest definition of Slice of Life when the types of shows that would fit that definition are very rarely made any more.

And a show like Tari Tari definitely has a Slice of Life "feel" to it, even if it doesn't meet the strictest definition of the term Slice of Life.

Instead of "correcting" people when they call shows like Hanasaku Iroha, Hyouka, and Tari Tari "Slice of Life", maybe we should just allow this term evolution to take its natural course?

Personally, I think that would be a better course than overusing terms like "Coming of Age" and "Drama".

Genre labels are there to serve the fans, the fans aren't there to serve the genre labels...