View Single Post
Old 2012-11-03, 23:17   Link #69
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I'll have to check this, but my impression from the scene was that he didn't actually touch her. He looked like he was going to (trying to get a reaction from her) but the camera panned back to show his hand away. Maybe I'm wrong - will check again when I get home.
You're right, he didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
That aside, I didn't think the point of the scene was really "come rescue me Kirito" but that she's one step closer to getting herself out of there. Of course right now she has nowhere to go.
Pretty much, Asuna was actually elated when Sugou let slip the fact that Kirito is alive while bragging, she had to fake being distressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Depowerment has nothing to do with her level in the game -- it's her lack of agency in the current situation. If it's just how the genre works, why isn't Kirito the one in this predicament and Asuna the one who has to rescue him? There's really no reason other than it's the girl's job to be the damsel in distress and the boy's duty to be the white knight who rescues her.
Why would Sugou kidnap Kirito instead of Asuna? is Kirito the daughter of the owner of the company he's working under? will he provide him with a way to "get in" to the family and eventual ownership of said company? It's fine to dislike traditionally sexists tropes, it's another when you start to categorically dismiss all of them without looking at the context of the story.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote