View Single Post
Old 2010-01-31, 12:22   Link #1193
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Banks probably don't care. You also have to consider the possibility of an intermediary. "Beatrice" does not have to create the bank vaults herself. She just needs the money and someone to set up the accounts for her. If she can't do it herself, there's probably someone in her group who can. We also aren't totally sure all the vaults contained that much money. Nanjo Jr. only checked the safe to which he had access, after all, and Kumasawa's son never bothered.

The gold doesn't have to be sold. It was used as collateral before, after all. If someone reputable had evidence that the gold existed they could potentially get a loan. We also don't know how much the servants are paid. 10 million yen is not very much; about $110,000. There's absolutely no way servants are "paid very well" if they're making $10,000 a year. That's below minimum wage, and not very good even in 1986 money (after inflation it would only be like $200,000 or so).

If Shannon only has a "few million yen," it means she did something else with her money. It just doesn't make any sense that she'd have a hundred grand after ten years of work.

EDIT: As an example. Say the servants were paid $50,000 yearly, or 4.5 million yen. That's very good pay for 1986. If Shannon did nothing with the money but stuff it under a pillow for 10 years, she'd have 45 million yen. That's not "a few million." It's not as much as is probably in the vaults, but it's a lot. If she did anything with it to invest it in some way, who knows? Either way, she has to have more than 10 million yen after that long on the job, or else what we're told about the servants being paid well enough to comfortably move on is baloney. If I worked 3 years at minimum wage I certainly wouldn't have enough savings to go out on my own, which is what most servants do. If I had $150,000 banked, that's another matter entirely.

EDIT EDIT: Also the obvious problem with Kyrie setting up the payoffs is that Rudolf needs money. Why isn't she giving Rudolf some of this stash and solving his financial problem? That would put her branch of the family in firm control because everyone else is broke. She could basically take over the entire family without anyone dying at all.