View Single Post
Old 2012-10-27, 06:36   Link #425
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
(seriously, how can one GIANT bolt do shit? explain plx) bolts simply ineffective
Depends on the size of the bolt, the range, the angle of impact and the kinetic energy behind - it might not be enough to pierce an MBT's Chobham/rolled homogeneous armor (RHA), but it could pose a problem for the LAVs/4x4s, which have thinner skins/armor skirts.

And, I'm not sure if the novels said anything about the Empire building any super weapons, but in our own world, there are real-life instances of oversized ranged weapons capable of shooting 200lbs+ projectiles, built with the express purpose of inspiring fear within the enemy camp.

Quote:
and stone flingers only dealing possible damage to the freakin NV sensors.
Or damage trackbelts and maybe even deal slight damage to the slabs of metal protecting the engines (Diesel or gas turbine), resulting in what soldiers call a "mobility kill". It could be even worse if the said projectile is a jar filled with burning oil - the fluid could set fire to the engine (and this has happened to Abrams MBTs in Iraq, where fuel jerrycans stored on the rack at the back of the turret were hit by enemy fire and dripped onto the gas turbine, forcing the crew to bail out).

Furthermore, a stone weighing several kilos and falling from above might not penetrate RHA armor, but it could dent it - and the concussion could cause internal damage (even though tanks are designed to prevent that) and minor spalling. I do not believe a projectile shot from a trebuchet or mangonel (the Empire seems to be mixture of Middle Ages/Roman Empire, so I'm on the outs as to which one would be more pertinent) can puncture an MBT's armor, but it could cause some degree of damage, provided the projectile is heavy enough and one of the men manning the engine is lucky enough to score a hit. Stone flingers are actually much more efficient against massed infantry, but the JSDF would have their troops safely ensconced within APCs while on the move rather than let them do a WWI-style infantry charge.

Quote:
I doubt their AP arrows could do much against the modern kevlar.
Kevlar is actually weak against bladed weapons, which retain constant thrust even after contact with the bulletproof vest (the kinetic energy of a bullet is quickly dispelled upon contact, which is not the case with a knife, where the pressure is prolonged). So an arrow, with a pointy tip (that can actually part the Kevlar webbing because it's extremely narrow, compared to bullet, which can be slowed down and eventually stopped by the said webbing, like a large fish caught by a net), actually has better chance of penetrating a Kevlar vest. Note: there are stabproof vests out there, but they aren't 100% bulletproof IIRC.

That's one of the reason why people started R&D'ing stuff like Dragon Skin, which could be both stabproof and bulletproof (note: a more accurate term would "bullet-resistant", not "bulletproof").

Besides...you forget that not all of the human body is protected by Kevlar and metal plates. Throat, face, arms, thighs, legs, feet - all of that is unprotected with most standard-issue armor and if you are unlucky enough, an arrow can pierce an artery and have you bleed to death - that is, if you don't die from shock already (there is a reason why some wildlife hunters prefer compound bows to rifles - arrows can sometimes be more efficient).