View Single Post
Old 2006-09-18, 10:23   Link #8
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatXIII
Can anyone tell me of a program for creating music. The type were you add little sounds to make a tune etc
And a program to convert to the .au format.

Can anyone point me to a good rss program and irc program.
Are you a musician? Do you want to make music with MIDI programs? Or do you want bits and pieces of other music and other sound samples and make collage... like remix DJs?

For the former, use MIDI sequencer of some kind. Cakewalk comes out as the first pick program for me. It also has options to add wav audio to add any sound of your choice. It's been several years since I've touched any MIDI sequencers though. For the latter, check out Audacity (free) or CoolEdit (expensive).

RSS - I don't read very many feeds, but I'm using Thunderbird. After going through multiple stand-alone feed readers, I've decided I like this setting the best.

IRC - I've made my switch from mIRC to x-chat, and I've been very happy with it. The official version of x-chat for windows is a shareware. Because the source is still available for free under the GPL, there are other free versions available, such as the one by Silverex. It does have its own quirks that may bother some people. It does miss some features that mIRC supports (such as custom background images per window, etc). And not all configurable options are present in the preferences dialogue, so you need to configure them using /set command. Even with these drawbacks, I still like it better than mIRC.
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote