View Single Post
Old 2011-09-28, 00:03   Link #984
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
It's not going to be as expensive as you or several other people think it is. Take a look at the screenshots again, and you'd notice that there's a LOT of CG trickery going on in those. It's especially noticeable in the background behind Tokiomi, where you have a small number of textures simply repeating one after another.

One of the skills that ufotable picked up during the development of Kara no Kyoukai was the blending of CG and drawn animation together to reduce the amount of effort necessary for an animation scene. Several stills and detailed objects are rendered in CG, then drawn over manually to make it appear like it was hand drawn. There's the usage of bright colors in animation heavy scenes to distract from animation inconsistencies. There's a lot of shortcuts that ufotable has learned to do with those movies to save time and budget, and they're simply applying it to TV anime.

Not to say that these shortcuts aren't impressive, since they tend to blend in naturally and you wouldn't notice them at a first glance. It's a rather unorthodox method to be sure, but if that makes it appear "movie-quality", then I'm really all for it. It still will also cost a pretty penny too, but don't really think for a second that this would really completely break the bank so to speak.
Yes there is definitely use of CG for some of the backgrounds but CG isn't cheap and then you're talking about modifications to said CG. As you already said, they used it extensively in KnK so I'm sure they are pretty familiar with how it works which might cut back on costs. Obviously we'll have to wait until after the first couple of episodes to see how much CG is used and how well they animate motion and battle scenes. I just can't see this being cheap in any remote sense. From what we've also seen from other CVs even the character models themselves seem to be insanely detailed(looking at Saber in full battle armor and Berserker).

So, in regards to the episode count, we have no clue how many episodes there are? However the good money is on 12/13?
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote