View Single Post
Old 2008-12-08, 21:17   Link #555
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatpower2 View Post
Interesting, however the problem comes with the brain. We can't even program common sense into AI how can we expect to make real intelligence if we can't even fake it easily. Which you would need for a successful cloning. In fact we may learn how to make our heart beat, arms etc. etc. in the womb and honestly i have a hard time believing they can stick a baby in woman.
You can "make" brains -- you can't just "make" a mind; you have to raise them. Brains develop 'mind' as the neural connections create a model in which to perceive, react, and manipulate the environment which becomes the sense of self. AI covers several areas like "expert systems" (diagnostic tools) but we'll just consider the AI that uses neural technologies rather than fixed or fuzzy logic nodes. Simple AI that could pass the "turing test" for cockroaches or even small mammals have been around for quite a while - they have to be trained because they simulate neural technologies.

A clone that I speak in the previous post has nothing to do with "mind" or "full grownness" even. You're confusing science fiction fantasy with science. A successful cloning would be a baby with the exact same DNA as the source -- like Dolly the sheep (or many other clones since then). It could also be an adult stage organ bank. A clone could be used to replace aging organs; it has no "mind" because the brain has not been subjected to the environmental stimulus outside of pre-wired genetics. It could even be grown with the upper brain function muted. Ethical question though ... is that organ bank a person or not?

baby in woman???? In vitro fertilization and implantation....

Oh and there's really no such thing as "common sense"...

I don't really think this is off-topic because a critical component of one's stance on abortion depends on what one understands about the fetal process, "mind", brain science, biomedical technology, what one considers a soul, and what one considers the definition of "human" or "sentient".