View Single Post
Old 2010-08-18, 13:19   Link #58
MHMorpheus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
You're forgetting the fact that there is a cost to the content producers. Producing all that material, marketing, printing, paying everyone's salaries--all that's a cost. So it does cost the companies something to share it.

However, like the music industry, most of these content providers don't get that the landscape has changed. Sharing is a good thing, and they should share.

Take a page from Nine Inch Nails--offer your work online, without any form of DRM, for free--with a donate button right next to it.

And the option to buy premium versions. Reznor has been putting up his most recent albums for download as MP3s. You can also pay $5 to get the album in FLAC. And you also have the option to buy a physical copy in either CD or LP--complete with album art, liner notes and other collectable bits and pieces.

And guess what? He's making shitloads of money. People will pay for something if they want it. But most people won't pay for something until they've tried it out, researched it and poked about it.

I don't fucking understand why people can't understand this. Fat old greedy white guys who think the Internet is a series of tubes, I guess?

Totally agree.

What is curious is that a 62 old writter from my "under development" country can get this idea (getting benefits from "pirating") and a 26 old mangaka from a highly developed country can't. Who has the old mindset?

Plus, working for the industry = enslaving yourself. As pointed before, the whole industry "pirates" the creators works. I wouldn't be surprised if some big circles from Comiket earn more money by self-publishing their works than some autors working for big publishers.
MHMorpheus7 is offline   Reply With Quote