View Single Post
Old 2008-07-02, 11:42   Link #32
Nemuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92
That's because they own the Gundam franchise.
Though also keep in mind they have the widely popular Gintama and Code Geass is among the most popular series within the last decade.
Rest assure I give Sunrise credit for their business/marketing department but I can't say the same for their anime. Code Geass is recent and popular, that I know but I wouldn't call it quality but it would vary for each person. Season 2 has yet to impressed me but its surely overrated.

Quote:
The thing about IG is that you can't bring it up in conversations like these
I won't argue that they're not one of the more focused studios, but they certainly can't be brought up in discussions regarding popular series and studios, as IG has a smaller and more dedicated fanbase rather than the followers of Gundam, KyoAni, Pierrot, etc.

And it's much more about the target audience of an anime than the actual quality of the anime itself.
Haruhi and Code Geass are both relatively recent works from (now) well-known studios that topped charts because they were targeted at a wider audience.
On the other hand, much of Gonzo's more recognised failures were also targeted at a wide audience, so more people watched them.
cough* Ghost in the shell *cough*, that title alones brings has bought them alot of fame in the western world, If I had to name Production I.G fans it would fall within the Sci-fi category. While you may argue that certain studio aim their anime at a particular group but anime is a niche market itself, I don't see the difference in what you're trying to say.

Well Dragonaut is quite an interesting one, at a glance I thought only people who enjoyed large breast woman would be considering their main audience yet alot of people watches it.

Quote:
It's because prolificacy does not equate quality. If one remembers a studio's mediocre series more easily than their good ones, it may just mean that a studio has more crap than gold.

However, Toei has much more crap than Gonzo, but a lot of their crap is not as well-known or is too old for people to care about.
So as I said, creating popular crap is what gave Gonzo its reputation.
I won't deny their quality anime are overshadow by their recent poor anime although I'm more incline to believe their prolificacy just creates an incentive for awareness around the community. Alot of people are expecting mediocre from Gonzo yet they still come and watch even though they're not going to gain any satisfaction. If I had to comment, people are more illogical when it comes to gonzo anime rather than their reputation for producing mediocre anime. It would be more logical if people just not watch gonzo anime at all yet you will always find comments of people bashing their anime throughout the thread voicing their opinion even though there’s always a choice to watch attach to any given anime.
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote