View Single Post
Old 2011-03-18, 16:49   Link #211
nevill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
I'm sorry, but I simply don't understand what this statement means. Can you elaborate or clarify?
I tried to clarify it in the previous post but fell short of words (English isn't my native, after all), so I erased everything. I'll try to explain as best as I can.

No matter what conflicting motives or feelings made someone do something, once the action is done, it's done, there is no going back. The action is what is judged, and not the motive. You won't understand a person based on his actions alone. Finding out what he did will yield you a single truth, and you will never learn more. In Higurashi, the Onikakushi ark, if we view it as a standalone work, was a story about a schoolboy who murdered two of his best friends - presumably, out of self-defence - and later died in mysterious circumstances. Everyone treats it as such, and it remains the truth of that world.

But once you understand a person, you can not only find out what he did, but also what he could have done. These 'what ifs' form multiple truths that are more important than the single truth of what actually happened. It can change our impression of their actions, of the story - everything. It was Tsumihoroboshi ark when we finally were able to understand what a tragedy Onikakushi really was. A little insight in Keichi's and Rena's characters, and the story shone in a different light.

The interpretation of the fact might be just as important as the fact itself. In Umineko, 'there were no bad people', yet one of them was the murderer. Someone turned out to be a murderer, even if he could live a normal life, were the circumstances just a bit different.

You couldn't sympathize with a murderer, right? Yet, as Aura Twilight said, Ryukishi made all of the characters extremely sympathetic. It is almost as if he dares us to find a way to resolve the situation on the island in a peaceful way, to find a truth among truths that would allow for happy ending, the one that Will strived for. The question I pose myself with, was there really no way for Ushiromiya family to survive? Are they truly doomed?

Ryukishi did say that fans might as well write their our ending if they are dissatisfied with his. I wish I could write a forgery that explored this possibility. Forget what really happened, was there a hope of a different outcome to begin with?

Do I make sense?

Last edited by nevill; 2011-03-18 at 18:57.
nevill is offline   Reply With Quote