View Single Post
Old 2007-12-19, 14:47   Link #52
ironbomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fervor View Post
The fact that juveniles are given a chance at redemption is something I really appreciate about the justice system. I truly believe in redemption and second chances. While they are capable of adult actions, it's very clear in many cases that their mind and maturity is still very much in development.

Makoto is a teenager. While his actions were insensitive, he didn't actually commit any crimes. Prior to this brief period of selfish playboy behavior, he was portrayed as a really nice guy. Remember that many of these girls were attracted to him because of his past good behavior.

I think it quite possible that he can turn into a good responsible adult, given the chance. He might even try to make up for the people he hurt, once he understands the real impact of his behavior.

He's not evil. He's not malicious. He's just young, immature, weak, horny and insensitive.
instead of taking his past to judge him, judge him the way he is. Otome is the best example, she noticed the new Matoko, she heed the hints that Matoko changed and made a decisive factor to move away from him. Its not that I dont think he can change back to his old-self, its just there was no sign given that he would. Even the slightiest bit of remorse would have been enough for me to change my views on him yet not one time did he think about what he done was incorrect or wrong.
Not just is there people that dont change, there are people that commit worst acts after receiving punishment...why do you think he is any different especially with how he acted towards the end of the anime? Just because he WAS a "good" guy?

@Dr1ft3r - Ok, when I made that statement, I didnt take into account of non-teenager incidents which I totally missed out on. I was thinking of teenagers able to do certain acts that dont get punished for because of simply, his/her age.

Sadly enough, second chance is overrated. I probably have given so many second chance opportunities to people I thought was friends than you can imagine that caused alot more pain at the end. Its not that I dont trust or believe they change, its that certain act that you do cant be repented. I am a truly forgiving person, but when a person's life is endangered because of your own selfishness, then thats truly unforgivable.