Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Detective Conan
View Single Post
Old 2011-09-17, 22:46   Link #189
Spyda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
-------

Yeah. The thing is, sure DC the anime is long. But the manga's now about ~800 chapters. In terms of shounen series, we still have people picking up stuff of comparable length (Bleach, Naruto, Hajime no Ippo, etc.) from scratch, so there's no reason not to give Detective Conan a similar opportunity.

With regards to the anime, nobody would seriously bother trying to watch all of the filler in, say, Bleach or Naruto nowadays right? So it's the same thing with Detective Conan. Stick to the canon, ignore the bloat, and you'll find yourself with a manageable experience.

It's not necessarily the sheer length that turns people off. But I think that it's more of the amount of filler that is incorporated in the series. I routinely find myself skimming a "Junior Detective League" Or "Detective Boys" story or episode... Only to find another one staring me right in the face next. And as creative as many of the ideas for killing people are... around #200 the majority of them are the same or very similar methods with minor twists. It's still a great piece of storytelling, but really should be (in my estimation) no more than 60 - 65% of it's actual length.

It's reminiscent of Dragon Ball to me. Which also shouldn't have been nearly as long as it was, since it always turned out the exact same. But I watched every episode nonetheless, and since so were many others I guess can't really blame them for dragging it out.
Spyda is offline   Reply With Quote