View Single Post
Old 2013-02-23, 20:28   Link #90
Trajan
Six Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
So the only way that the rats can achieve freedom and humanity is to kill every last human, that is essentially what you are saying.

Is the measure of superiority (both for the humans and the rats) who has the potential to kill every last one of the others species?

edit: I do understand the rats have cause to fear a human who decides to massacre them all (in the same way the humans have a fear of a fiend) but I don't think the only solution has to be "kill them all".
Well, it would have been interesting to see what would happen if the queerats decided to petition the humans for more equal rights instead of going straight to rebellion/war. Of course, there is no human that gives voice to the "abolitionist" argument that since queerats are intelligent, sentient creatures they deserve to be treated as equals, so it's a bit tough to imagine that it would be successful.

Now you could imagine that if the queerats started such a dialogue, some of the humans might come around to the queerats' position. Again, not likely, as the groupthink of the humans would be hard to overcome. But more than that, I think the human leadership would view the extension of rights to queerats as very dangerous. "If the queerats have rights, then shouldn't children as well?" people would begin to think.

This danger is the key reason that I think the queerats don't first petition the humans. Since Tomiko was willing to annihilate an entire colony for winning a battle, I think she would annihilate a colony that started protesting for equal rights, lest the danger spread (and I think Yakomaru knows this). So the only way for the queerats to successfully achieve their freedom is to rebel without first petitioning the humans. And once the queerats decide to take that step, I do think they have to kill every human Cantu user, otherwise there is a good chance they lose, which would make rebelling futile.