View Single Post
Old 2011-07-25, 14:09   Link #46
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinta View Post
I dig it, but I also like MXO and was pissed that it was canceled. I don't, however, think its a premise that can last. The conflict is too narrowly defined and you can only play around with main couple's relationship for so long.
That's the mangaka's issue with all of his series: there's little to no progress between the main couple's relationship. Both Pretty Face and Mx0 ended when the main couple was no closer than they were in the second or third chapter.

It's not so much the premise as it's that too much time is spent on episodic material that does little to progress the relationship of the main couple. For example, when Randoh goes to a different town to find Yuno, only to come across a dead end. It's only when Yuno shows up in the very last chapters that Randoh makes a move on Rina. Then there's almost every misadventure Taiga has in Mx0. They go through several tests to upgrade their cards, but none of it brings about any development in Taiga or Aika's characters.

This doesn't have to do with the setting but how the mangaka writes the plot. Romantic comedy is nice, but nearly every chapter is a romantic comedy that doesn't help the main couple grow at all.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote