Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2009-11-25, 21:54   Link #4730
Cyrus17
Impostor Cutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post
I cannot comprehend. Why can't Russia just give back all four islands as that it was never their territory to begin with? More over, this would ensure strong bilateral ties in the future..
Guess it's cause Japan is ally of US and US is enemy of Russia. Conceeding more territories to enemies for nothing will cause very negative effect on public opinion, while providing zero benefits.

But in the future, maybe in 10 years or 20, when Japan will leave US' sphere of influence and aquire true independency, a deal between Russia and Japan is quite possible. Something like islands in exchange for some technologies, or maybe a deal allowing russian companies bigger stakes on japanese market. But as long as US "rules" Japan I can't see it happening.

(In other words, Russia can participate in a deal with Japan, but it should be "friendly" Japan. But as long as major aspects of Japan's foreign and military policies decided in US, it's kinda improbable for it (Japan) to become friendly with Russia, to provide Russia with some substantial [technological or economic] benefit, even in exchange for the islands.)

(In yet another words - you said this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post
More over, this would ensure strong bilateral ties in the future..
- but there're NO bilateral ties, cause there's no such subject as independent Japan. To truly improve bilateral ties Russia should work with US instead, and it's just what it's been doing for the last 15 years.)

Actually I see another variant, hardly probable but still. Imagine such shift in US policies that they stop treat Russia as enemy and become Russia's friend. As a result Russian-Japanese relations will become friendly too... Actually scratch this. It will never happen.
Black Seppuku Bunny:
- Want us to help you?
Harakiri Tiger:
- We'd be happy to take a piece.
Natsuru:
- Can you even digest it with your guts hanging out like that?

Last edited by Cyrus17; 2009-11-25 at 22:44. Reason: spelling