Thread: Licensed Girls und Panzer
View Single Post
Old 2013-03-12, 10:00   Link #4533
rocket
Senior and Demented

[QUOTE=arkhangelsk;4586894]What happened to such considerations as profile, or the fact that the flatter trajectory means a greater "point-blank" distance, a larger allowable error in estimating the distance even outside of point blank, and less need to estimate&pull lead (both of which are relatively hard parts for gunnery)?[quote]

I guess we'll just disagree on this one, but for me if penetration and range are not an issue then I'll take a turret over a low profile, and certainly a turret over a flater trajectory but with a 20' traverse.

Quote:
Which makes one wonder how popular Senshado really is. The total number of schools participating, even accounting for the fact they are in huge carrier ships, is rather low and with the exception of the "greats", any time we actually get to see something of another school's equipment it is plainly as non-competitive as bringing a spruced up family car to Formula 1 racing. But that's another topic.
I think this must be where we so fundamentally disagree. Given the story set up I start from the premise that Tankery is a valid sport and assume the best of the implied details to make sense of the whole thing.

You seem to look at the onscreen evidence and conclude that it's not plausible, which is an understandable position, it's just not one I choose to take in order to enjoy my shows.

Given that, I don't think we're ever going to agree on how to interpret anything not explicitly declared or shown on screen. *shrug*

Quote:
Hmmm... I recall the scene differently. Seems like the girls are all demoralized, and Miho's giving them a pep talk on "you did your best no shame in losing to an expert team" rather than taking a group that's out for blood and making them doubt themselves.

Here's what happened. They were chased into the church and Pravda fired a few more rounds at the church before stopping. Pravda's reps come in and demand surrender. After they leave, everyone was pissed by the arrogant demand. The Volleyball team (Isobe) captain was saying "Who's going to kowtow", Momo is going "She just wants everyone lower than her", Erwin was going "Fight to the end" and even the Freshmen team captain (Sawa) was going "Let's fight this through". Right up to this point, they were out for blood.
Yup you're right, I remembered that wrong. The team was willing to fight back and Miho was demoralized. However she didn't actually demoralize the Ooari girls, the monkfish girls support Miho cheerfully, but before the other girls have a chance to respond the Turtle team spills the beans. When it's the school's survival at sake then they get depressed.

I think that still supports my assertion that Katyusha's plan that hinged on demoralization due to the odds rather than skilled performance of her team was a valid one. It almost worked... twice. Thankfully for the Ooarai girls Miho was actually motivated enough to use her genius!