Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2009-11-30, 17:35   Link #4798
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I seriously hope he isn't dead. I'm also hoping all the Law Enforcement agencies in that area and around the country will be seriously addressing the vulnerability uniformed officers expose themselves to by letting their guard down in confined public spaces such as this Coffee Shop.
At some point, we'd have to start asking where the "civilized society" went. Police officers already feel isolated and are often out of touch with the law-abiding citizenry (one reason so many end up with interesting prejudices even if they're the same color as the perp o.O ). Isolating them even further just makes it more likely they're going to have trouble telling who's who in a mess.

For example, most rank and file officers strongly support concealed carry for citizens - they consider them the 'back up of last resort' and a deterrent. Its only the association of "police chiefs" (political appointments) that have opposed such a concept and even then only a slim majority. Most police want the public to be able to defend themselves because they know they can't get there instantly. I have 8 relatives in various levels of law enforcement - I get to hear this discussion frequently.

So ... you have to balance that against the ease of idiots, wackjobs, and loonies getting hold of guns. Balancing accessibility to the law-abiding public versus them is very tough.

Sidenote: knowing the model/make of a weapon used in a crime doesn't really tell you a huge amount other than *maybe* a guess at the skill level of the perp. Example: Mac-10s are generally used by idiots (gangs) when they can get them, it tends to shoot everyone but the target. A Glock, otoh, doesn't tell you a thing - they're preferred by police officers for the special safety function and their reliability. Meh.... so forth and blah.