View Single Post
Old 2009-12-08, 12:32   Link #111
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_fh View Post
How am I avoiding them when I just repeated what I said earlier? A person stupid enough to do something dangerous because he doesn't think about what might happen deserve what's coming to them. In her case she also didn't consider the impact her actions would have on her friends. The more dangerous the thing you ignored the dire the consequences.
Id doesn't mean I don't want her to get better. I just don't feel sorry for her because she screwed up big time and involved the people around her.
Ah, Saten is stupid now, too. Good to know.

Quote:
Do you really not understand the thing I said or you just don't want to understand it?
I understand perfectly what you're trying to say. That still doesn't make it make sense. I've said why it doesn't.

Quote:
Again with the coma.
Yes no one would expect they might end up in a coma because that's a specific side effect that can be known only after seeing the result of using the LU.
What if it wasn't a come what if it was cancer, or a stroke or paralysis or hundreds of other outcomes of messing around with a person's brain.
Yes, the coma again. If you don't want to argue criminal negligence, you shouldn't have defended it. Action: Taking level uppers. Result: Coma. Normal person expect this: No. Finding: No criminal negligence.
Quote:
I didn't say there are no problems. I said he thinks about what the problems might be and he makes his decisions based on the pros and cons. It's common sense that if the cons out-weight the pros by far it is not a reasonable risk to take. Which seems to be the case here.
As I said above (yet again) this specific outcome isn't predictable because it's too specific but there are even more dangerous possible outcomes of using the LU
It's not whether a reasonable person would do it, it's not whether it's a good idea. It's whether a reasonable person would expect that an outcome like that would happen. I'm not saying they need magical foresight. We're not going to take a jury ignorant to the story, give them the background, then if they don't predict coma, Saten's off the hook. But a person would not expect a coma or worse from LU in the situation in which Saten found herself.

Quote:
No the main issue here is that her actions are not jutified at all. You are missing the whole point of the discussion at hand.
If she is stupid enough to use an uknown substance in the first place. That migh lead to absolutely all kinds of outcomes.
I posted because people, including yourself, were portraying Saten in a horrific light. That was my main issue, and still is my main issue. I have never said that I would have done what Saten did. Or that I don't think it was a mistake. But I do think that many people, especially children, would do it. I don't think it's necessary to vilify her.

Quote:
Yes maybe I am a bit callous and that's probably because she is a fictional character and I don't like to see fictional characters which in a sense promote acting like an idiot adn saying it's ok. I'm baffled by the fact that some people see her actions as reasonable and justifiable.
Yes, we should all learn our life lessons from anime, so it should portray all people as model citizens. It is perfectly natural to see how a teenage girl would do all the things she did. It is human to sympathize with such a character. If that baffles you, I'm sorry.