Thread: Licensed K (Anime project)
View Single Post
Old 2012-11-19, 10:09   Link #1227
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Mind you, my impression is based on watching the anime solely. I haven't read the novel, or any of the spin-off stories, or the manga that is coming out in conjunction with the anime. Whatever I got out of the story is how it was presented in the anime episode by episode. So if you are someone who is familiar with the source material before coming in contact with the anime, then I think you are right when you state that you will never understand the complaint. But if you are someone who is watching this show without knowing anything about K beforehand, then I'm very interested to read your thought and will be grateful to further elaboration.
Anime-only watcher here, and the story so far is good for me. As of Episode 06, I have fully grasped that the story of K is not like an action anime series where what you see is what you get, but rather as a mystery series where even the smallest detail may actually be a clue to later events.

As SCEPTER4, Homra and the other colors take up the scenes, we are left with clues that one should take into consideration when watching the next episode. The community actually helps in the understanding of the story... not that a single person can't understand what is going on, but rather we stand as the unseen detectives that try to sort out the clues to find out the secret of the world of K. I'm not sure if this is what the production team thought of in creating the story, but I think it's done a good job in stirring up speculations from fans.

Quote:
Well, maybe it’s just me, but I always get this feeling that K anime is “too busy playing by itself” and not paying enough attention to the audience. It’s like you’re a newbie who got lost in a conversation between geeks/nerds. I do understand subtlety and really enjoy mystery series (the most recent one being Shinsekai Yori I mentioned earlier), but K’s execution in storytelling is just lacking for me (so far).
I admit that the flashiness of the world of K may be off-putting to some, as others may have dropped the show for being style-over-substance, but it actually makes searching for clues even more rewarding. Heck, even with Animax Asia's severe cuts to the episode, I can still understand everything as those who have chosen other methods of watching it.

This is the kind of show that those who have been spoiled by stories that lack subtlety in uncovering plot threads may have dropped by Episode 3 or so.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote