View Single Post
Old 2009-02-08, 20:00   Link #85
DSDSSDWE
Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Firstly we like to retain the term Nakama in Japanese because its a term that carries a significance and meaning that can't be fully translated into English. Its not just friendship, crew, comrade or family, it carries something very similar but neither of those does can carry well enough.
That's fine with me. Although I am more replying to the people who think One Piece (the supposed ultimate pirate treasure) is about realizing what friends and friendship mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
And like I said, you got the order wrong.

You don't become the Pirate King to obtain 'true friendship' or Nakama. Its your Nakama that will help you become the Pirate King.

If paper = Pirate king and ash = Nakama. What you got was 'burning ash to get paper'.

If you do not have great Nakama in the first place, you can't be the Pirate King.
No, I don't have the order wrong. As I said, having good nakama to realize the dream of becoming the pirate king is important, no doubt. But the idea that someone becomes a pirate and strives to be the pirate king and to find the "ultimate pirate treasure" that is "true friendship" is very silly. 1. Because "true friendship" has little to do with becoming strong pirates, going on life and death adventures to finally become strong enough to be the pirate king. Hardly something that's worthy of being considered the ultimate treasure for pirates. And 2. It is a pretty big slap in the face of "pirates" even in the world of One Piece if THAT was the ultimate treasure of pirates.

Edit:
Actually, after reading this thread, I find the idea of One Piece having something to do with the void century and overthrowing the WG very likely. I forgot about that particular chapter that covers the idea of the WG doing something evil in the past and trying to conceal it. Very interesting! My thanks for that

Last edited by DSDSSDWE; 2009-02-08 at 20:35.