View Single Post
Old 2012-10-01, 15:18   Link #32
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Hehe, it’s me yall…

First off, as “bad” as AGE was or wound up being, it WAS NOT and IS NOT worse thaN GSD…Ok, even I can admit that…AGE was not a production clusterf**k by any stretch in comparison, so lets kill that comparison…

Spoiler for OVERALL:

While there were many things about this show that I didn’t enjoy I’d have to say the increased attention to fight strategy and fight choreography was so exponentially improved from the middle of gen2 and beyond I couldn’t help but notice. Some of the individual one v. one battles were ridiculously detailed from both an animation standpoint and strategy standpoint (Asemu v. Galette in the asteroid field comes to mind)

Another aspect of the show that was very enjoyable was the evolution of Vegan technology, specifically in the area of beam weaponry…Unlike Flint who whored the Gundam out for his family alone, instead of letting the tech be advanced for the entire army (and no $hitty Custom Clanche’s and those other crap EFF Mass produced suits don’t count), the Vegans Darwanized every class of their suits and tweaked aspects that became vulnerable to the Gundam (They had the REAL AGE SYSTEM)…

The evolution of the beam saber being a claw hand weapon to becoming a reusable dagger shot (as in the case of Galette’s supped up red mech) to the awesomness of the bits, which turned out to be simple bits of light that attacked the living $hit out of you (most genius $hit I’ve seen in a while in-terms of this tech)…

Gundam Legillis was just the cherry on top to a very imaginative catalog of G-suits that I will remember (I will give the Mecha Cicada final boss travesty suit a pass^^). With that said I was equally appalled by the lack of any ingenuity on the EFF side when it came to suits, except for Girard Spriggan’s awesome suit.

So honestly, at the end of the day, what I asked for came to fruition a bit. I was so incredibly critical of this show in the beginning with IMO was good reason (lack of expositions, character development, battle choreography, thematic presence, worldveiw), but I always said if you put diamonds in the dirt you’re shoveling, at least I could deal…And certainly the visual prowess of the fighting had picked up to a level so high at times that I did ignore the terrible storytelling and lack of anything even resembling a worldview…Also stealing basically the Desity Plan for the final stanza was ehhhhh too, but…

With that said though, I can’t with good conscious give the show a high grade, but I can put certain eps on a green DVD to symbolize that these are some cool eps to “toke up” to xD…

After giving gen1 a D/F, gen2 a C+, and gen3 a C, I’m compelled to give the series a C- with the caveat that it has mostly terrific action in the last 30 episodes…In numerical fashion, I give Mobile Suit Gundam AGE a 4.93 outta 10..With almost all of that going to the improved visual action of the show and Vegan tech…

It’s funny because even in the final epilogue, the show’s most glaring weakness was on display…As you see the statue of Flint (a man who cared about a single girl more than anything or anyone else in the story), a grown up Kio and equally elder Asemu, you realize more than ever this show only cared about AGE…And allowing us to see these characters age was more important than character development, exposition, or the depth that’s needed to actually care that the characters’ aged…I suspect as we age we won’t much remember this title much as it pertains to Gundam, but with age comes wisdom, much like Flint, hopefully…

Last edited by wingdarkness; 2012-10-01 at 17:17.
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote