View Single Post
Old 2008-03-31, 20:20   Link #275
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
If Shin's romantic affection towards Noe was too subtle to see compared to Hiromi's then this by far is the strongest. It came from his own mouth. This is why I agree with the subbers when they used the word "waver". It was the best word to describe what he felt. Why would he feel the need to chant desperately that he loves Hiromi when he was watching Noe walk away? Let's admit it, he basically cried true tears. He was wavering and keeping himself from chasing Noe. Funny or not. That's all it is. For a girl who opened up his shell, something Hiromi didn't manage to do, it's not inconsistent for him to be that attached to Noe--enough to waver his (he's been loving her forever) feelings for Hiromi. In my opinion, that's what the writers want to tell us about Noe and Shin's relationship. They didn't end up together but the way they impacted each other was beautiful. Just like an angel and a human if you want to romanticize it. Bittersweet.
Exactly my thoughts as well. Everything which happened surrounding that scene, including the sentence said by his father, including the comparison drawn between this generation and the previous, including his need to basically scream at himself that he loves Hiromi, including his practically breaking down outside, all of it makes sense and has the fullest impact when you interpret it as his statement that his heart wavers romantically, and makes very little sense if you believe it as brotherly love. What Shin said was that he loves Hiromi, and has loved her for a long time, but seeing and thinking about Noe makes his heart waver, makes him start to doubt. That's why he has to completely let go of Noe in order to have a real relationship. To get rid of the doubt which has been making him indecisive.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..