View Single Post
Old 2010-07-06, 16:12   Link #13158
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

The sense I got from Eva solving the riddle was that she was thinking along the lines of "That's the answer?" Like she couldn't believe that it wasn't all that special. She and Rosa also seem to think the riddle is childish. Battler and Erika, to my knowledge, have no commentary on the character of the riddle, as they approach it as a word puzzle from the outset. If anyone else has solved it, they haven't offered their opinion.

Given the Qilian theory and others, I am led to conclude the following things about the epitaph are probably true:
  • It is a word puzzle, and once the puzzle is solved, a series of directions to take that lead to the gold location.
  • The word puzzle is based on a metaphorical association of two things (common theory is sweetfish river = railroad). These things do not require any specific knowledge and are not even necessary to the solution (Rosa says the sweetfish wasn't a big hint, but Eva considered it such).
  • The word puzzle most likely involves working in a foreign language, but requires Japanese understanding to know why. The common theory is that the english written above the chapel gives us the characters we must use in the word puzzle, but that you need to approach the riddle in Japanese to realize you're looking for characters in a word.
  • The word puzzle requires knowledge of Kinzo's hometown. Merely knowing where it is appears to give a big hint. However, Battler and Erika appear to be able to solve it without instinctively knowing, the way Eva does, so it may be possible to look it up, ask someone, or guess.
  • The steps taken after the word puzzle involve the chapel in some way, and may or may not involve the grated-over well in the forest. Battler and Erika absolutely were at the chapel, so they were doing something solution-related there. A common theory is that manipulation of the door activates some sort of mechanism.
  • The actions undertaken do not take a very long time or cover an extreme distance, as Rosa and Eva were not gone for very long in ep3.
  • There is some step somewhere along the way that requires some manner of memory or understanding of Kinzo. Eva reflects back on her father in ep3, Battler "sees" Kinzo in ep5. Both insinuate that this hint was a turning point. In Battler's case it was literally so, as it seems to have shown him where to go after the chapel.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote