View Single Post
Old 2012-02-01, 00:35   Link #28
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWings View Post
I only played the first game X-COM: UFO Defense. I should pony up some dough and get the other ones sometime.

I just want to know how aliens managed to reach governments and make a deal in the first game when I literally detected and located and destroyed (or shot down and killed the survivors) every single craft with the Hyperwave decoder with bases strategically located on every continent.
You need to stop the infiltration UFOs from reaching the targeted LANDMASS.

Shooting the UFOs down only delay the process by a few months, You have to stop them from reaching the nation they are targeting period. If they reach the country, even shooting it down won't stop the infiltration.
And if you see a Battleship showing up for infiltration, it means you have already failed. The battleship appearing is only a symbolic gesture; the government had already signed a pact by this point and there is nothing you can do about it any more.

This means unless you save/reload regularly, you will eventually lose countries. As if you are unlucky the UFO infiltrator would appear right on top of the targeted nation and you couldn't respond at all. The site where they first appear is randomised, so if you load an earlier save game they would appear on a different part of Earth.