View Single Post
Old 2012-06-09, 13:09   Link #21
Kaiba

Quote:
Welp I have to hand it to ufoTABLE, they tried their absolute best to make a lame, ridiculously overpowered and trivializing character like Gilgamesh and his battle with Rider interesting and to make both look gar, but the fact still stands that Gilgamesh is just about the worst thing about this otherwise wrinkled, ponderous and complex franchise. He's not interesting or complex to any degree (especially compared to his master), and it just makes everything else that happens feel so utterly pointless when despite all the other heroic, fascinating and oft depressing stories we have this lame one note character whose whole schtick is "I was first king therefore win!". Hell he didn't even have to move against one of the more powerful characters we've seen in this prequel so far and to me that's just a bit of a joke.

To me he diminishes the whole idea of the Holy Grail War and all it's behind the scenes machinations, strategy sessions and backstabbings to the complexity of a poker match every time he gets involved in the story. Should you happen to draw Gilgamesh it's like just happening to luck into a royal flush, you're opponent can still try to bluff you, they can try to outwit you a bit and throw you off what they have in their hand, but the only question left to be answered when all the cards come down on the table is how much you stand to win. Tokiomi even admits as much in the first season when during the summoning he proclaims nonchantly that they've won the grail war.
And Tokiomi sure ended up in a great situation and breezed through the war thanks to his Gilgamesh summon.

Gilgamesh is by far the most powerful Heroic Spirit because he's the oldest, and that's well, how Nasu magic works. But he's by far the most difficult heroic spirit to control because of his power.

Not to mention just because he's one of the most powerful characters doesn't mean he can't be complex. I find Gilgamesh heck of a lot more interesting than Saber, for example.
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote