View Single Post
Old 2015-04-18, 12:40   Link #12
Archilla

GDK's Adventures in DxDubbing!

Back for more! Today, I'm gonna take a look at the only character you can follow the Switch-Princess with. It's time for everyone's favorite lecherous superhero, the Oppai Dragon himself, Issei Hyoudou!

Voice Actor: Scott Freeman

No, before you ask, he's not related to Alucard. I had to do some research on this one, as Scott was mostly a background character VA for while. This pattern was broken by landing the role of England in the dub of Hetalia Axis Powers. Other than that, his other big roles are main characters in Baka to Test and B Gata H Kei. For his minor roles in dubs, he seems to have pattern playing "plain, unassuming" characters or characters with a comedic kick to them. Some more notable minor roles are in The Devil is a Part-Timer!, Chaos; Head, and A Certain Magical Index. Let me know if there's anything else he's famous for/done a good job on!

Issei is an interesting beast in the dub. There's some seriously divided opinions on him. Light Novel readers have a serious bone to pick with the fact that he's dumbed down, and acts out of character often. First-time viewers seem to enjoy him for his ability to deliver good comedy, and I have a couple friends myself who love him. For full disclosure, I'm a LN reader myself. I mostly consider Issei a victim of sacrificing accuracy for comedy, as this seems to be a common theme of the dub. He very much is guilty of the concerns of the LN crowd, with his IQ dropping a few points and a serious change in vernacular. I have to take this with a grain of salt, because for the most part, I think Scott does a good job of getting the humor of the series to an English-speaking audience who usually gets left out in that aspect of the sub. A common concern that I hear is his change in speaking manner, especially with his shift to swearing every few seconds. While some of this is painful (See the "douche canoe" line), in my opinion some of it works with the fact that Issei is a crude high-schooler. Plus, they sometimes are able to use the swearing to decent effect when Issei is reacting someone treating his friends poorly (see the Vali fight). Voice-wise, Scott does a good job, but I do have some bones to pick. He nails a hapless teenager's voice, and can really ham it up for when Issei reverts into ero-mode. I also enjoy some of his more tender moment performances, such as the griffin ride with Rias. One of the things I've always disliked about his performance are his loud, screaming moments. The Vali fight is again a great example of this. He always seems like his voice starts cracking when he hits the highest point of a screamed line, and it's odd. But for the most part he's got a good voice for this. Much like Jamie Marchi, he's been playing roles similar to this for a while...

And no, we're not gonna talk about the whole "Using Rias' real name" thing. Yes, it's awful.

Best Performance: I really enjoy him in Season 1, Episode 12. It's got a good range of Scott's skills, from the serious battle, Issei adopting his serious "fill the room" voice for wedding crashing, to some nice tender moments between him and Rias.

Notably Awesome Lines:
"Then I'll give up my other arm. And then my eyes if I have to. I'll do whatever it takes. Nothing's gonna stop me. I'll always save you." -S1E12
"'Rub lotion on my chest' are officially the most beautiful words I've ever heard in my entire life!" -S2E7
"Like I would just sit idily by and let him take ANYTHING FROM ME!" -S2E12

Scott Freeman's Wikipedia Page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Freeman_(voice_actor)

Last edited by Archilla; 2015-04-19 at 18:11.
Archilla is offline   Reply With Quote