View Single Post
Old 2011-10-27, 20:57   Link #58
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
The problem is you put too many assumption in your argument. Resource is a big problem, but you assume it's your usual type of resource that's available at any era. Secondly, why do they bother with time travel? Because "the Earth was destroyed" in the future. You assume they could do that multiple time, but take into account that everything was pulled in the desperation, otherwise who would choose time travel as a solution?

Beside, the reason they lose the war is really clear if Flit's generation indicates anything. It's way too peaceful, and I wouldn't be surprised if Earth was wiped out in the short amount of time, even before they know who's the threat.

People used to think creating human is god's work, didn't they? And now we could even do something as cloning. What makes you so sure that time isn't a technological advancement similar to any other?
I don't think I've made that many assumptions but let me answer what you've said anyway.

Resources, for a time traveler, are a non-issue (and are a non-issue for space fairing races as well) unless they travel so far into the future or backwards in time that either (a.) the universe had not yet started to form under baryogenesis or (b.) the universe had decayed into its lowest state. There is no such thing as a resource not available unless it runs out but that is not possible if you can travel backwards in time, and is only an issue in forward time travel or standard progression of the arrow of time. (Basic constituents of matter do not simply pop up out of nowhere at some point in time, they were either there for billions/millions of years or they weren't. We are talking a hundred year time span in this series which is less than the blink of an eye for the universe. For instance, even a rapidly generated organic compound (on planetary time scales) such as oil has existed since life existed which is billions of years. And while its specific molecular compound only came about because something died and turned into oil, the basis of it is carbon and any sufficiently advanced life form (especially one with prior knowledge of the compound, such as our UE with their supposed time traveling) would not be troubled to reproduce it.)

So either: resources is not an issue, or the resource came from the big bad and was made of some non-universe thing that simply did not exist anywhere in our known universe. But since you can time travel, and at the very least learned how to use the vastly alien resource to your advantage, you have an infinite amount of time within which to learn to reverse engineer said compound. I'll concede that if somehow this compound were made of something you could never, ever attain again, then sure, you are more or less hosed. But that begs the question....

What prevents the big bad from just traveling back in time with their own, likely infinite amount of, resource and use it to undo everything you did? If the resource is big bad limited, then any action you may do in time would be quickly rendered ineffective by an action by your enemy in time. It would be like playing Chrono Trigger with two people, both having the ability to time travel, and with the goal of disrupting one another. The game would never end.

Or...

Where the heck did it come from? And why at that particularly convenient point in time when you were facing your doom.

Now: Who would chose time traveling as a solution?
Answer: Me, and many other people. Time traveling is a power that encroaches on the so-called powers of God. You know the future, you can manipulate it to your liking. And as I previously said, the ability to time travel (even if only once, which really doesn't make sense to me because once you go backwards you can again find the thing that let you go backwards before, repeat this process forever if you must) provides you with the ultimate tactical advantage... and if you can't win with even that sort of clairvoyance... you're army is hopeless. The earth being wiped out really isn't an issue if you can time travel, again you have clairvoyance of the events that lead to said destruction, giving you unparalleled advantages should you go back in time and fight said battle all over again.

Cloning is cloning is again a physical thing, just as everything else you listed before. Time travel is not physical. Time does not occupy any physical area or thing, it is a concept that marks progression. Time is a concept closer to a logical truth than it is to anything tangible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
It is hard, but it's almost impossible if the audience assume things that have yet to be addressed by the show and then complain about plot holes when their assumptions are proven wrong.

So, assuming this spoiler is correct, I suggest you give the show a chance to explain the story first.
Not once have I said that I am writing off the show as I quite enjoy it thus far, I am simply bringing up issues that I can foresee occur.

Last edited by Vena; 2011-10-27 at 21:15.
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote